Monday, January 10, 2011

Another wild day at the zoo

Okay, kids are down finally. Day 4 proved to be a stressful day. It didn't help that I didn't have any caffeine in the house and have diagnosed myself with a Dr. Pepper addiction. The freezing rain didn't help me get motivated and the alarm clock went off just way to early.
The up side of the day was the phone call from Chris. It was very comforting to hear from him and know that he is safe.
The babies' nap was cut short today. Probably, by Sarah's scream fest for 45 minutes. And I wonder why I have headaches everyday.
I do have the most loving children in the world and it would work out perfectly if I were an octopus and had eight arms to actually hold all 3 of them and perform my daily duties. I don't think they want a mother; I think they just want a jungle gym.
Today, I have been a slide, a horse, and a step stool. I am not surprised that my back feels like the back of a 70 year old woman.
I was able to escape from the zoo this evening to go to open house at the Methodist preschool where Sarah will be attending hopefully next year. I think I was the only mom there who was excited that the 3 year old program was 5 days a week instead of 3. She wants to go to school so it's not like I'm shipping her off to boarding school or anything.
Okay, I have had my little rant and I feel better. Now, children are in bed and time for my shower, some ibuprofen and a Ben Gay heat patch for my shoulder and back. Did I mention that I am falling apart one appendage at a time?
I love my children and I wouldn't trade any of this for anything. It is just so ironic to think that my life is what it is now. I was always the person who arrived 5 minutes before I was supposed to be somewhere and now even waking up 3 hours ahead of time, I am lucky if I can get there 5 minutes after I was supposed to arrive.
God is definately trying to teach me to mellow out. The lesson I am seeing in all of this is to let it go. Let go and let God.
For me, it was easy to let God handle something out of my control like cancer but I have to remind myself that He wants to be there just as much for lost car keys and baby spit up and burnt meals and piles of laundry. He wants to be in charge of it all and it all matters to Him -- even the insignificant petty stuff of life.
As I reflect on the day, I survived and the kids were fed and clothed (not bathed tonight, at least 75% of them weren't) and no one went to sleep with bodily damage. In the life of a mother of 4, I would consider that a good day.
And in the quiet now, I can sit back and be still and know that He is God and I am blessed beyond measure.
Good night and restful sleep to all!

1 comment: